Questions about campaign finance

Our campaign committee wants to hold a raffle to raise money; can we do that?

No. The Delaware Gaming Control Board has determined as a matter of law (Article II, ' 17A and 17B of the state Constitution) no candidate committee, political action committee, political committee or political party may conduct any type of gaming activity, e.g., bingo, casino night, raffle, lottery, etc.

Do we have to put the words "Paid for by Committee or Person's name" on our campaign signs or radio ads?

Please refer to Section 7.0 thru 7.7.3 under General Content Requirements901 Regulation.

Are campaign funds subject to income taxes?

Section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code states that political organizations are exempt from federal income taxes. In some cases committees become subject to taxation under the ordinary course of business or trade, for example, earned income derived from campaign funds. Contact the IRS office nearest you for more information including the correct form and the March filing deadline. You may read more about it at the Office of Law Revision Counsel.

I am a lobbyist, do I file with the Commissioner of Elections?

You must file and report with:

Public Integrity Commission
410 Federal St., Suite 3 (Rm 213)
Dover DE 19901
Phone: 302-739-2399

I am a candidate for a Federal office; do I file reports with the Commissioner of Elections?

First you need to speak with the Secretary of State's Office about running for any Federal elective office, such as, U.S. Senator or U. S. Representative. You will also be required to file information with the Federal Election Commission concerning your candidacy. To have your name placed on the Delaware ballot for an office in an election for which you qualify, you will have to pay a filing fee and file your name and office with the Commissioner of Elections.

What are the rules about signs?

SIGNS: "The Clear Zone Safety Law," As used in this chapter, the term " clear zone " has the following meanings:

(1)For all roads except those described in paragraph (2) of this subsection, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for a distance of 10 feet perpendicular to the pavement edge.

(2) For all interior streets within residential subdivisions, the term includes the total roadside border area within a right-of-way, starting at the edge of the pavement and continuing for the shorter distance of either:

a. Seven feet perpendicular to the pavement edge, or
b. If there is a sidewalk adjacent to the street, the sidewalk edge further from the street.

(3) The total area within the median strips between traveled ways or on any channelization islands, except as permitted by § 1108(d) of this title. (71 Del. Laws, c. 318, § 7.)

* City and Town Limit Boundaries
* Right-of-Way Limits in Subdivisions
* Right-of-Way Limits on all other Roads
* Legal Questions

Where can I contact my elected Officials?

Contact information for the current elected officials can be found at the Delaware General Assembly.